Are you looking for an invaluable way to serve the community and work with a great team at the same time?
Volunteers are the backbone of the Cultural Center and our mission of preserving the Japanese American experience in Hawai‘i. The Cultural Center requires a large cadre of volunteers. For this reason, we continue to accept applications throughout the year. There are many interesting and rewarding volunteer opportunities available:
- Gallery Greeters and Docents
- Classroom Outreach
- Japanese Translation
- Office Assistant
- Oral History Transcriber
- Retail Sales/Cashier
- Special Events/Projects
While we recognize that many volunteers will contribute more hours than required, for most positions we ask that a volunteer communicate their availability and the time they can commit to. Other volunteer positions, such as the Special Events position, are on-call. Join the team and help the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i serve the community and continue with our mission!
Volunteers at the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i enjoy the following benefits for sharing their time, skills and experiences with us:
- Opportunities to share personal knowledge, skills and experiences
- Educational and cultural enrichment programs for volunteers
- Annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon
- Free admission to gallery exhibits
- Invitations to special walk-throughs of new exhibits
- Participation in the Oahu Museum Volunteer Leaders (OMVL)
- Borrowing privileges from the Resource Center (some limitations)
- Free validated parking
- Most importantly, the satisfaction from helping others supports the JCCH's mission of sharing the history, heritage and culture of the evolving Japanese American experience in Hawai‘i.